Monday, November 14, 2011

Meet the Members: Antionette


Mickey (left) with family

Hometown:
Chicago (Humboldt Park, Leclaire Hearst Community, Englewood)
College:
East West University, Major: Behavioral Social Science
Fun fact:
Every one calls me Mickey, I use to have a really squeaky mouse voice and loved Mickey Mouse.
Favorite quote:
“Smile and the world will smile back”. My grandfather
What you did before AmeriCorps?
I use to work at Friendship Ventures for 6 years, a camp that provided services for those who are mentally and physically disabled.
Did your past work/school experience apply to your year of service?
Yes. I feel mental health is still overlooked as a part of health. There were also physical components that tied to exercise and eating habits.
Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
There are a lot people I know that have done this, and they credit AmeriCorps for giving them the experiences to be where they are today.
What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
I serve at Perspectives Middle Academy as their Health Coordinator. I am responsible for incorporating health initiatives in programs at the school. I also do big health drives for HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Oral Health, Hygiene and much more. I also do a Community Health fair which is held twice yearly. I have been able to incorporate two new programs around family health as well.
What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service?
I would love to continue at Perspectives, so I am looking to be hired in a more permanent spot. I also plan to finish my degree in Behavioral Social Science, and look into a school for Public Health. In five years or so I hope to be opening my own Non- profit center that would provide a safe haven for those with special needs in Chicago.
What is your favorite part of CHC, so far?
I love the trainings and the service projects that we get to do outside of our host site, they just make you feel so good.
Deep Thoughts by Chicago Health Corps: If you had 1,000,000 dollars to give away, how would you do it?
I have been thinking a bit and I feel I have always known the answer to this.

I was brought up to always think of others and to do as much as I possibly could. The first thing I would do with a million dollars is donate a fourth of it to a community health center. Peoples health is more important than they give credit to. I feel with better advertisement and programs detail to the people, the community would be more welcomed to community health centers.

I would give a fourth of the money to the homeless people in Chicago. For some reason there are just way to many homeless people out there. This money would provide shelter for them to stay as well as some resources to help them get back on their feet.

The second half I would spend where I live. I would give this money to Alderman JoAnn Thompson, hoping that she would incorporate a community center where there can be wrap around services for the all of the people in the community.

With that said 1, 000,000 simply isnt enough, there is so much to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment