Thursday, December 8, 2011

Meet the Members: Alina


Name: Alina Khek Nuth

Hometown: Chicago, IL

College attended and major: 
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Molecular and Cellular Biology

Fun fact:
My middle name is actually the result of my mom wanting to see her maiden name somewhere on my birth certificate. I didn't used to like that, but now I think it is a fun fact.


Favorite quote: "undocumented and unafraid" -my friends, peers, and classmates.

What you did before AmeriCorps?
I got my bachelors :)
I had fun side jobs during college summers working promotions in Chicago.
I spent (2009/2010) living in England.

Did your past work experience/school apply to your year of service?
School involved learning about dynamic structures and mechanisms that occur inside/outside/between cells. Not directly applicable to my service year. However,  I firmly believe that this type of study has equipped me with valuable critical thinking skills that will allow me navigate and contextualize my year of service.

Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
I wanted to understand better (through direct service) the intersections of medicine, public health, and social justice in urban communities.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
I am a Health Educator for Heartland International Health Centers. It is an agency that operates many health clinics on Chicago's north side. I am currently placed at two clinics in the Uptown neighborhood. The first is a school based health center at Uplift High School and the seceond site is at the Wilson Clinic. My objectives are wide ranging due to the diverse patient population that these two clinics serve. But currently, I am involved in the start up of nutrition programming at Wilson and reproductive health/sex education in the classrooms at Uplift.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future plans?I am not sure what my plans are after AmeriCorps. I'm trying to play by ear. So far the possibilities include but are not limited to combinations of:
Continuing work as a health educator in Chicago, emphasizing more on refugee/immigrant health. or adolescent health. or both.
Become a master of the arts. (specifically in knitting, dancing, sewing, cooking, and poetry.)
Explore other cites of America or move out of the country. Most likely move to Cambodia & live.
Apply to medical school and really learn how to integrate science&service (this ultimately has been/still is the main goal)

Favorite part of CHC so far?
Being back in Chicago and not just being a consumer of services in my community. Through CHC, I am proud to say that I can provide them too. And it's education.. the best type of service from my perspective.

Deep thoughts by the Chicago Health Corps: If you had an extra room in your apartment what would you use it for?
a darkroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment