Thursday, August 23, 2012

Getting To Know Our Site Supervisors-Part 1

Stay tuned for more site supervior's info, coming soon!



        Stephanie Kollar
Erie Family Health Center, Adult Care Coordinator

Educational Background: BA University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana

Interesting Fact: She served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Guatemala for two years.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would be and why? I would love to go to Thailand because of the breathtaking beaches.

What is your dream meal? I was 17, in Rome and had melon wrapped in prosciutto, it was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted.

Stephanie is looking forward to working with her CHC member on evaluation methods for their diabetes groups.  She hopes her member enjoys her experience of being able to work closely with patients in a unique Chicago neighborhood.




Sandra S. Block
 OD M Ed, Professor of Optometry, Medical Director, School based Vision Clinics
 
Educational Background: North Park College             Bachelor of Science    (Natural Science)
Illinois College of Optometry                          Bachelor of Science   (Visual Science)
Illinois College of Optometry                          Doctor of Optometry
Illinois College of Optometry                          Clinical Fellowship in Pediatrics
National Louis University                                Master in Education
University of Illinois Chicago,                        
School of Public Health                                               8/01 – Present  Candidate for Ph. D
(MCH Epidemiology)

 
Interesting Fact: I have been working for Special Olympics Inc in Washington DC as a Global Clinical Advisor of Special Olympics Lions Clubs International Opening Eyes.  This is a public health program designed to teach people to provide eye care of children and adults with intellectual disability around the world.  Through this position I have been able to travel the world from Africa to India to South America to Europe.  Traveling around has been a blast!          
          
What did you always want to be when you grew up?  I always wanted to be a veterinarian.  Unfortunately, I got bit on the face and needed rabies shots.  I found out that I was allergic to them and was strongly encouraged to choose another profession.  My father was an optometrist and he loved what he was doing and now so do I.
If you could go anywhere in the world where would be and why?  Spain – it is beautiful, the people are warm and friendly, and the food is to die for!  My husband and I have been there four times and have seen different areas each time and we keep saying we want to go back.





Janette Muir Smith
Heartland International Health Center, Advanced Practice Nurse

Educational Background: Masters in Public Health Nursing, Family Practice
Interesting Fact: I have two sets of twins
If you could go anywhere in the world where would be and why? Brazil, I speak Portuguese and always wanted to visit. Good food, music and beautiful country
What is your dream meal? Sushi

This service year, Janette, looks forward to helping her CHC member become more effective and wants her member to really walk away from this experience with a deep appreciation for school-based health care.


Virginia Reising
Erie Family Health Center, Coordinator of Adolescent Health
 
Educational Background: Bachelor’s of Nursing from University of New Hampshire, Masters of Public Health Nursing from Rush University

Interesting Fact: My name used to include a state and a capital (Virginia Montgomery) and because my name is the same as a state I was forced to study the state of Virginia for my third grade state report.

What did you always want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be the athletic trainer for the Chicago Bulls but when I realized that was a long shot I decided to be a nurse and now I take care of people who are much needier than Michael Jordan!

If you could go anywhere in the world where would be and why? I really want to take all my best friends on a bike trip through Tuscany, Italy.

If you could be any animal, what would be and why? I would be a dog. I don’t know why but I just love dogs and they seem like the nicest pets.

What is your favorite song of all time? Hmmmm….Defiantly something by Garth Brooks but I can’t pick just one song.
What is your dream meal? Caprese Salad (Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella) YUM!
What is your favorite quote? “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it”
What is one thing you are afraid of? I honestly can’t think of anything I am truly afraid of.

Virginia is looking forward to watching this year’s CHC member make the projects their own while building on the hard work of last year’s members. She hopes the members will recognize the hugely positive impact they are having on the students at Amundsen and Lake View and the staff they are working.



Laurie Odell
Heartland International Health Center, Community Relations Manager

Educational Background: BA, minor in health education

Interesting Fact: I have 2 beautiful granddaughters!

If you could go anywhere in the world where would be and why? Cuba, went there in 1970 to cut sugar cane, I would love to return

If you could be any animal, what would be and why? A horse. They’re beautiful.

This service year, Laurie is looking forward to her CHC member providing lots of great health education to Uplift students and she really wants her member to develop a more powerful passion for serving the people with the fewest options and resources.



Katherine Y. Tossas-Milligan
American Cancer Society, Cancer Screening Manager
 
Educational Background:  I have a BS in Biology from the University of Puerto Rico, a MS in microbiology and immunology from University of Michigan and I’m currently in the process of getting a PhD in Epidemiology at the UIC School of Public Health.
Interesting Fact: I just finished taking part on an online fitness reality TV show! It was fun.  That’s all I’ll share.
What did you always want to be when you grew up?  I wanted to be a doctor from the time I remember.  When I was 19, I had an internship with the Department of Defense working on a bioremediation project which changed my path.  I became interested in research as a way to reach many more people that I could ever reach as a medical doctor.  The next summer, when I was due to take the MCAT’s, I decided I wanted to become a research scientist instead and ended up going to University of Michigan to get a research degree.  14 years after working as a scientist, I realized my work was still too far from the communities I wanted to impact, so I quit my job and went back to school to pursue a PhD in Epidemiology.  It was during this program that the opportunity to be a health educator for the American Cancer Society at Stroger came along, which led to the position I am today.
What is one thing you are afraid of?  I am afraid of balloons…. Don’t ask me why!  My three children pay the consequences each year at their balloon-less birthday partiesJ.
Katherine is looking forward to her CHC members running the program smoothly and seeing the colon cancer screening rates increase across the state, particularly among uninsured populations. She hopes her members learn about the challenges and rewards of implementing a multi-institutional education and navigation program to benefit those most in need.




No comments:

Post a Comment