Friday, October 28, 2011

Meet the Members: Shermaine

Hometown:
I grew up in Flint, MI. Home town of famous people such as Bob Eubanks (old school Newlywed Game) , Sandra Bernhard (actress & comedienne), Terry Crews (actor- Everybody Hates Chris) and Michael Moore (Director-Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko).

College:
I graduate with both a Bachelor in Biology and Chemistry. I am currently in graduateschool working on my MPH (Master in Public Health) and HIT (health information and technology) certification.

Fun fact:
While being in Chicago Health Corps, I have three amazing children that I teach, mentor and guide through this wonderful life. They are dynamic and a blast to experience! I am very fortunate. I am also a Master Gardner through the University of IL Extension South Suburban Cook County and Child Advocate for CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate). I have a passion for assisting others and working toward transformation, so my life fits me perfectly.


Favorite quote:
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi knew how to "keep it moving" through trouble and conflict. He was a powerful leader and was able to be present and move forward through the many conflicts he encountered.


Before my service:
I worked as a pharmaceutical chemist for a number of years. It was a good career choice but I was not fulfilled and needed to work with people directly in a healthcare setting.

I chose AmeriCorps because:
I wanted to gain more experience in public health and work directly in neighborhoods where there is a lack of expertise and support of health concerns that disproportionally effect them to increase learning of health concerns. Chicago Health Corps was a perfect fit for me and my goals of public health and community engagement.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
I am returning after a leave of absence and will be supporting a number of activities within the Corps by working with PHIMC, Alliance Chicago and Chicago Dept. of Public Health assisting with a new HIT initiative.

My plans after AmeriCorps: will be to work in the area of Health Information Technology assisting with implementations of electronic health records in public health organizations and increase healthcare literacy. It will be a great completion to an amazing year.

Direct quote: 
"Life is too short, I got this!" "No worries! It's all good." In other words... Keep it movin'.

My favorite part of Chicago Health Corps: is being with everyone and learning from the experiences of others.

Fun Fact: 
We have a cat, Illuminata, Lumi for short. She is great because she sits for her food and comes when I call her (most of the time).

Deep Thoughts by Chicago Health Corps: If you could be a professional athlete, what sport would you play?
I love to watch the human body in motion. I was a marathoner before I tore a ligament. I love running so I would be a distance runner. But what fun is that in my imagination, if I could be like the winged runner, Nike who is the daughter of Ares, the God of War, in Greek Mythology). The wings for extra speed and endurance to boot that would be fabulous!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment