Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Meet the Members: Lily

Name: Lily Camp

Hometown: St. Louis, MO

College attended: Grinnell College ‘10, Sociology and Spanish

Fun fact: I sneeze every time I eat dark chocolate!

Favorite quote: “Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me” –Michael Scott, The Office

What you did before AmeriCorps? Last year I also served as an AmeriCorps member in Washington, DC. I was a legal assistant at Our Place DC, an organization that provides social and legal services to presently and formerly incarcerated DC women. I also volunteered extensively at the organization HIPS (Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive) on their night outreach van. We distributed safer sex supplies, information, and new syringes to individuals engaging in sex work and/or hormone/drug injection around the city.

Did your past work experience apply to your year of service? Yes! My past work experiences inspired me to think about health more critically and certainly exposed me to a different side of public health. I came in contact with individuals who are often made to feel that access to adequate health care services is not something that they deserve. I was inspired to gain more experience in health education and empower patients to speak up and be able to advocate for their own health.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member? I’m serving as a Health Educator at Erie Family Health Center-West Town. I’m primarily involved in developing and implementing Teen Pregnancy Prevention classes in Chicago Public Schools, but I also assist with several diabetes management classes, a wellness program for women, and a breast cancer support group.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future plans? Next year I will be starting my Master's in Social Work at the University of Chicago! I am fairly confident that my long-term career goals will include case management, counseling, and advocacy around issues like mass incarceration, women’s health, and sexual health.

Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: What one piece of advice would you give to your younger self? Have more FUN...and don't care so much what other people think!

No comments:

Post a Comment