Friday, April 20, 2012

Meet the Members: Carly

Name: Carly Sue Kruse
Hometown: Sioux Falls, South Dakota (popularly known as SuFu SoDak)
College: Grinnell College (Undergrad) London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Grad)
Fun fact: I am a twin!
Favorite quote:
“Perhaps everybody has a garden of Eden, I don't know; but they have scarcely seen their garden before they see the flaming sword. Then, perhaps, life only offers the choice of remembering the garden or forgetting it. Either, or: it takes strength to remember, it takes another kind of strength to forget, it takes a hero to do both. People who remember court madness through pain, the pain of the perpetually recurring death of their innocence; people who forget court another kind of madness, the madness of the denial of pain and the hatred of innocence; and the world is mostly divided between madmen who remember and madmen who forget. Heroes are rare.” –James Baldwin, Giovanni’s Room
What you did before AmeriCorps?
Before AmeriCorps, I completed a Master’s degree in Reproductive and Sexual Health Research. I also bartended at a swank bar in Sioux Falls for a bit and can make a mean dirty martini if anyone is interested.
Did your past work experience/school apply to your year of service?
Definitely. My past molded my values that led me to AmeriCorps!
Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
While it is a little cliché, I chose to do AmeriCorps because of CHC’s mission to increase accessibility to health care. Everyone has the right to health autonomy, and AmeriCorps gives me the opportunity to be a small component in guiding people towards that autonomy.  
What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
I am serving at two school-based health centers on the North side; Roosevelt High School and Senn High School.
What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service?
At this point, I am not quite sure what plans will be after AmeriCorps. I’ve thought about moving back to London, I’ve thought about finding a position in research, and I’ve thought about traveling. For now, my feet are on solid ground in Chicago and that is all that really matters.
What is your favorite part of CHC, so far?
My favorite part of CHC is, bar none, the people. Their passion, drive, and unique perspectives keep me on my toes erryday.
Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: Would you rather have a head twice the normal size or half the normal size?
After some serious thought, I think I would go with a head half the normal size. I have a lot of hair to compensate and really a huge head would just make life pretty annoying. I mean, think about it. Your neck would hurt all the time, you would have to buy custom made shirts, helmets, and glasses...ok wait, I would have to do the same with a small head. Conundrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment