Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jessica Takes Students from Orozco Elementary to Free Eye Clinic

Did you know that May is Healthy Vision Month!? We didn't either until we Googled it! To celebrate this special occasion we are featuring a special post from CHC member, Jessica Torres.



One component of my service position is to coordinate vision screenings and vision exams for students at Orozco.  I then assist students who failed their eye exam receive free glasses. With the help of the Chicago Public School Office of Special Education and Specials we are able to make this all possible.

On Monday April 23rd, an optometrist from Ageless Eye Care visited Orozco and provided 21 students with free eye exams and glasses if needed. The Thursday of that same week, we loaded up a school bus full of 34 Orozco students and traveled to the Princeton Clinic on the southside of Chicago. Here all students traveled from room to room getting their little eyeballs examined. In total 55 students were given free eye exams and more than half picked glasses frames and will receive free glasses in 4-6 weeks! 

One of my favorite parts of this project? Convincing kids that glasses cool! Throughout the week of April 23rd-27th  I had a number of conversations with students on the “coolness” of wearing glasses.

One specifically went like this:
“Uhhh Ms. Jessica I don’t want glasses, they just aren’t cool!”
“What are you talking about? I wear glasses.”
“Well I’ve never SEEN you in them.”
“Hahaha, fine. I’ll wear them everyday once you guys get yours. Deal?”
“Deal.”

So in 4-6 weeks when we receive a box full of glasses I’ll have to keep up my end of the deal and roam the school in my glasses just like all the other cool kids :)




No comments:

Post a Comment