Monday, May 28, 2012

Meet the Members: Lisa-Sun

Name: Lisa-Sun Gresham

Hometown: Wilton, Connecticut

College attended: Roanoke College, in Salem VA with a double major in Theatre and Sociology.

Fun fact: When I was in highschool I hid a picture of actor Brent Spiner - "Data" from Star Trek: The Next Generation, behind my coats and spent time swooning over him inbetween classes. I also used popular male singers as a diversionary tactic on my locker door so no one would suspect my infatuation. I still love Data to this day. I am 25. Not ashamed.

Favorite quote:
"In everyday life, "if" is a fiction, in the theatre "if" is an experiment.  In everyday life, "if" is an evasion, in the theatre "if" is the truth.  When we are persuaded to believe in this truth then the theatre and life are one.  This is a high aim.  It sounds like hard work.  To play needs much work.  But when we experience the work as play, then it is not work anymore. A play is play.” -Peter Brook

What you did before AmeriCorps?  I have been in AmeriCorps for the past two years before joining CHC where I was a VISTA in Louisville, KY serving at YMCA Safe Place Services which has an 24 hour 365 day emergency shelter for youth, extensive outreach system, and mentoring program- YNOW Mentoring Children of Prisoners. Then I moved to the absolutely majestic and serene mountains of Hillsboro, WV where I served at High Rocks Educational Corporation, a leadership and empowerment organization for young girls that provides tutoring, mentorship and opportunities for young women to express their voices and creativity. I've taught classes, workshops, been camp staff, volunteered in mentoring groups and written grants for funding. Before my years of AmeriCorps I was a cashier for a local grocery store back in CT.

Does your past work or school experience apply to your year of service? Most definitely! If it wasn't for my years of previous service I do not feel I could be an effective teacher or engage youth the way I do.  My theatre/sociological experience from school helped in a very practical sense; I can project my voice to a crowded classroom in a fun interactive way and recognize many social factors that have greatly improved my understanding of classroom management.

Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps? Simply, I believe in service. I have grown in mind, heart, and spirit through serving others and been welcomed into each community warmly. Service isn't easy, you can feel overwhelmed and face moments of breakdown/burnout from the stress but when compared with the positive impact of AmeriCorps, the stress is negligible.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member? I serve at the Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago as an Asthma Health Educator.  I go into schools across the greater Chicagoland area and teach asthma classes to 3rd-8th graders and lead adult sessions for parents, staff, and childcare providers. Sometimes the nurses sneak in what are affectionately dubbed "the babies" or K-2nd graders, and yes, I teach them too.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future plans?  After AmeriCorps I am attending graduate school at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, CA for a Masters in Counseling Psychology Drama Therapy.  My year of service has been a boon, exposing me to health disparities of all types, and I plan on focusing on the mental and emotional health of at-risk adolescents. 

Favorite part of CHC so far?  I am so happy for the other CHC members and how they have enriched my year here, but if pressed I would choose the kids.  Their bright eyes, smiles, endless questions, funny tiny voices, weird totally off-topic stories they tell in class, their frustrations, combative anger, the silent brooder, and even the occasional belligerency.  I am reminded with every class why I enjoy the challenge of teaching.

Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: Is there anything better than Jackie Chan holding a plate of hot wings? Please explain.Such a hard question to answer! The only way this situation could be any better, is if I had Jackie and his hot wings standing next to Data and a replicator. And I'd be sitting on a Vespa.  If there is one thing people know about me, I ADORE hot wings, Jackie Chan, Vespas, and Data.

No comments:

Post a Comment