Monday, June 11, 2012

Meet the Members: Becca

Name: Rebecca Maddrell
Hometown: La Grange, IL

College attended:
DePauw University
Double Major: Biochemistry and Spanish

Fun fact:
I qualified for the Boston Marathon

Did your past work/school experience apply to your year of service?
I have always had an interest in public health, although my university did not have a public health program. While at DePauw, I helped reform the Timmy Foundation chapter at my university. The Timmy Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on global health initiatives specifically in Latin America. After working with this organization I realized that I wanted to learn more about the public health system in America

Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
I chose AmeriCorps because I have always had a passion for community service. Before I continue down my medical career path, AmeriCorps has given me the opportunity to give back and fulfill my passion in community service and health care.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
As an AmeriCorps member I am serving at Erie Family Health Center. Erie is a federally funded health clinic that has the mission of providing accessible, affordable, and high quality health care for those in need. I do a variety of things like implement nutrition and fitness management programs, lead after school programs, manage Erie's Reach out and Read program. and teach teen pregnancy prevention classes in Chicago Public School system.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future
plans?

My plans after AmeriCorps are to attend Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine. My year of service will apply to my future plans because serving at a community health clinic has taught me a lot about public health. It has allowed me to work beside doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, health educators, and administration and taught me all sides of health care which will help me better serve my patients.

Favorite part of CHC so far?
My favorite part of the Chicago Health Corps so far has been meeting other members of the corps who have the same passion for healthcare and service that I do.

Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: If you had a year off with pay, what would you do?
I would travel the world and immerse myself in every country's culture.  I would also spend some quality time with my friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment