Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Meet the Members: Jessica

Name: Jessica Angelica Torres

Hometown: Chicago


College attended:

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Kinesiology with a concentration in Exercise Physiology



Fun fact: I won a worm eating contest in Cape Town, gobbled 6 of those babies down! (see photo below)
Worms, anyone?






Favorite quote:
"Real service is the power that sustains the world"

What you did before AmeriCorps?
Before AmeriCorps I was living the good life as an undergrad. While studying I working in the CRAYON, Caretaker Research Advancing Youth Obesity Knowledge, research lab in Champaign. Our research examined the roles of early risk factors for pediatric obesity such as childcare, child-feeding practices, physical activity, and family and environmental factors. I was also a research assistant for a professor studying how socioeconomic inequalities over the life course influence later life outcomes, in particular, health outcomes. Lastly, I spent some time volunteering at The Boys and Girls Club and The Times Center, support system for the homeless men in Champaign, IL.

Did your past work/school experience apply to your year of service?
Most definitely. First and foremost, it helped me realize that I wanted to be a part of the public health field and that I wanted to work directly with people. Having the privilege of working in a hands-on research lab where I was able to go out and collect data made me realize how much I enjoy being around people and interacting with them. With my schooling I received solid background knowledge in overall health including nutrition, physical activity, proper ways to teach physical activity, and sport injury management. Most importantly, throughout my four years of school I gained a deeper appreciation for service, only helping solidify my choice in this field. 

Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
I firmly believe in helping people and communities in need and providing them with outside resources. I am also very passionate about teaching people simple and practical ways to live healthy/healthier lives. I found that this program combines two things I am very passionate about and decided to apply. I also really enjoy working with people and the people I’ve come in contact with thus far have been amazing!

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
My host site is J.C. Orozco Academy and I am the Elev8 Health Coordinator. As the title gives away I do a lot of coordinating for health services. I make sure we have a dental van visit the school monthly, assure students who need eye exams and glasses receive them, confirm that students are attending their appointments with the school doctor, etc. I taught (and am hoping to keep teaching) dance classes for adults, and led/help lead some afterschool programs such as the Running Club, Orozco Health Council, and HOP Sports. I also dabble in some of The Resurrection Project’s work and am assisting with their summer Peace Initiative and B-Ball on the Block.  

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future plans?
In the Fall I will be attending Boston University for my MPH with concentrations in International Health and Maternal and Child Health.

Favorite part of CHC?
The amazing people and being back in Pilsen!

Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: If you had guests in from out of town what would you show them?
First we would have to go for a bike ride on the lakefront, followed by some sort of food tour (sooooo much good food to eat here!), and finally check out a free concert or street fest. Gotta love summer in Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment