Monday, July 9, 2012

Meet the Members: Maggie

Name: Maggie Grinnell

Home state: Massachusetts

College attended: University of Massachusetts- Amherst, BS in Biology

Fun fact: I know how to use a nail gun and a sewing machine.

Favorite Quote:
Even if my hands are clenched by mud my fingerprints are my own
Let me be myself
Let me search alone

What you did before AmeriCorps?
 On a Thursday in May a couple decades ago I popped into the world in Geneva, Switzerland... 
 Just before starting AmeriCorps I spent two months chauffeuring a team of robots around the United States for an agricultural robotics company. I spent the two months on the road driving  a cargo van down the east coast, across the country and down the west coast. During stops along the way I set up the robots at large scale agricultural sites and collected data. I also read stories to the robots to make sure that they were entertained (not really).

Did your past work experience/school apply to your year of service?
Yes, I worked as an EMT during my last year at University. The experience of responding to medical emergencies was a huge adventure that taught me a lot. I think that my work as an EMT helped me to see the range of people's access to health care and varied experiences with health.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
During my time as an AmeriCorps member I have been serving as a Health Educator at Erie Family Health Center. I spend the most time teaching sexual health education classes with Chicago Public school students or facilitating prenatal education classes with Erie patients.

Alongside my activities at Erie I have also been volunteering with Howard Brown Health Center in their outreach department. I join the outreach team at a men’s bath house to provide free HIV and STI testing. A couple of us also head out to the Boystown nightlife about once a month equipped with a pink suitcase full of condoms. We chat with people at the bars, offer free condoms and lube, and answer any questions people may have about STIs or Howard Brown.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps?
I will be heading to Alaska! I am joining the Center for Disease Control’s Public Health Associate Program. I’ll be stationed at the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and will be focusing on tuberculosis and epidemiology. I’m excited to learn a lot and live near mountains!

 If you could go back and be any age you want for a month, what would you choose?
 I think I would go with age four. I was living in France but don’t really remember much about it. I would love the opportunity to see the homes I lived in and explore the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment