Friday, July 20, 2012

What Will We Do Next?- Life After Service

Post written by Rebecca M., CHC member

          Over the past 46 weeks the Chicago Health Corps (CHC) members have been getting things done in Chicago, serving over 23,800 hours to fulfill the CHC mission to “improve access to health services and address health disparities in under-served communities.”  Through health fairs, asthma education programs, diabetes and nutrition education, dental vans, after-school programming and much more it is clear that while some members will be leaving Chicago, the impact that they have had on the city will continue on.

Another Sunrise, Another New Beginning

-Jonathon Lockwood Huie

           As the CHC term of service comes to an end, the impact members have on their community is just beginning.  Here are some of the members plans for next year.

Ayla Karamustafa: "Starting in August, I will be working as the HIV Program Associate for PHIMC, CHC's host agency, working on multiple projects focused on HIV testing, HIV prevention implementation, and community re-entry for detainees living with HIV/AIDS."

Jessica Torres: “I will be moving to Boston to attend Boston University. While there I’ll be pursuing my Master’s in Public Health in International Health with a concentration in Infectious and Non-Communicable Diseases.”

Carly Kruse: “My immediate future is with Chicago Health Corps. I will be maintaining the torch as all of the other CHCers move on to explore the world. After that, playing at the Logan Square Farmers Market, eating lots of yummy food, and planning the next steps of my life are all certainly happening.

Neerja Joshi: “Beginning medical school at the Medical College of Wisconsin.  This will probably lead me to a career in primary care, and hopefully to an MPH in the distant future.”

Maggie Grinnell: “I will be working in the tuberculosis and epidemiology department at the Alaska Department Health and Social Services as a Center for Disease Control Public Health Associate. Wahoo! Anchorage!”

Sydney Weydemeyer: "I loved CHC and my host site, Seven Generations Ahead, so much I'm coming back for round 2! Also, I'm worried that if I didn't come back my fellow farmer Farmer Tim Magner with Truck Farm Chicago wouldn't know what to do without me."

Danielle Nelson: “I am heading home to attend the University of Michigan School of Public Health.  My focus is Health Management and Policy.”

Becca Maddrell: “I will be staying in Chicago and attending Loyola Stritch School of Medicine.   Looking forward to the next adventure and thankful for the last 46 weeks!”

Savannah Jackson: “This summer I am starting a program here in Chicago with 
AUSL, a non-profit that trains teachers to be effective teachers/leaders in urban schools.”

The Chicago Health Corps has put us on a path to future successes and lives of service. The CHC members are grateful  for the wonderful experiences provided and memories that will last a life time!

No comments:

Post a Comment