Monday, July 2, 2012

Meet the Members: Savannah

At the Annual COPD Boat Cruise
with the Respiratory Health Association.
Name: Savannah Noel Jackson

Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO

College attended: Brigham Young University, B.S. in Public Health and minor in Nonprofit Management

Fun fact: I don’t eat anything white and gelatinous. This is on a whole spectrum of gelatinous textures. Examples: whipped cream, sour cream, pudding, mayonnaise, yogurt, flan, marshmallows, cheesecake.

A favorite quote: "There are no other people's children." -Terrie Williams

What you did before AmeriCorps?
I was working the best student job at Brigham Young University. I was a clerk in the office for parking services. They say if you find work that you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. Apparently that's also true if you are fortunate enough work with good friends. I think fondly of my days back at BYU Parking, where I answered phones and sent faxes with wonderful people who practically became my family, and it never felt like much work at all.

Did your past work experience/schooling apply to your year of service?
I was lucky to work with great people at my past jobs, which was perfect preparation to work with more great people in the Chicago Health Corps. School was also a definite help, and I feel like I found the most perfect AmeriCorps program. Public health AND nonprofits. A perfect marriage of my two study areas.

Why did you choose to do AmeriCorps?
I was inspired by the mission and the opportunity to give direct service in underserved communities. There were health-related AmeriCorps programs just about anywhere in the country, but CHC was notably organized, professional, and the mission resonated with my own values. Also: Chicago is the greatest city in the world. I feel very blessed that I was accepted into the Chicago Health Corps.

What are you doing as an AmeriCorps member?
I serve at the Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago. It’s an incredible non-profit that funds research, educates, and advocates, all in the name of lung health for Chicago. I am a health educator for the asthma programs, which means I get to teach kids who have asthma (and the adults—teachers, parents, day care workers—who spend time with kids) on ways to recognize triggers and respond to warning signs before an asthma episode gets serious. Basically we’re trying to help the adorable asthma kids of Chicago spend less time in the E.R. and more time out doing good, fun, kid stuff.

What are your plans after AmeriCorps, and how does your year of service apply to your future plans?
Originally I thought I was bound for a Masters in Public Health program. Then, after about two days as an asthma educator in the Chicago Public Schools, I had the unsettling feeling that I might really want to be a teacher. Time passed, the CHC retreat happened and during the retreat there was a reflection activity where I realized how much I love being in the schools and with the students, and I seem to have some strengths that lend themselves to teaching. I have been accepted into a teacher residency program with the Academy for Urban School Leadership where I will receive teacher training in a high-need Chicago Public School. That program will start in the 2013-2014 school year. In the meantime I will do odd jobs and look for opportunities to do some volunteering with literacy programs or GED tutoring.

Favorite part of CHC so far?
It’s been a remarkable process, gradually becoming a part of the Chicago community and to be providing meaningful service, day-in and day-out. And nothing can compare to meeting these friends in the health corps, who I am convinced will be lifelong friends. It’s truly priceless.

Deep Thoughts from the Chicago Health Corps: Would you rather be two feet shorter or two feet wider?
I’ve thought a lot about this. Two feet shorter puts me at 3 foot, 7 inches. I can see that working to my advantage as an educator because I’d be right at eye-level with the kids. I see few advantages to being two feet wider. I’m going with shorter. Final answer.

5 comments:

  1. Savannah, you are awesome!! We miss you so much and can't wait to hear about your next adventure! hugs, t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlfriend, you is awesome! :) Lot of Love!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete